A Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) is a legal document that allows you to appoint someone you trust to make decisions on your behalf if you are unable to do so. Choosing the right person to be your attorney is an important decision, and it’s essential to ensure that you choose someone who will act in your best interests. In this blog post, we will discuss some important factors to consider when choosing a Lasting Power of Attorney in the UK.
- Trustworthiness: The most important factor to consider when choosing an attorney is trustworthiness. You need to be sure that the person you choose will act in your best interests and make decisions that align with your values and wishes. This person should be someone you trust implicitly and who has a good understanding of your needs and desires.
- Capability: It’s also important to choose someone capable of making important decisions on your behalf. This means that they should be able to understand complex information and make sound judgments. It’s also a good idea to choose someone who is organised and can keep accurate records of any decisions made on your behalf.
- Availability: It’s essential to choose an attorney who is available and willing to take on the responsibility of being your attorney. This person should be willing to make themselves available to make decisions on your behalf when needed and should be able to commit to the role for the long term.
- Communication: It’s also important that your attorney can communicate effectively with you and any other relevant parties. This is especially important if you have specific wishes or instructions that you want to be followed.
- Conflicts of Interest: It’s crucial that you choose someone who doesn’t have any conflicts of interest that might affect their ability to make decisions on your behalf. This means that they should not have any financial or personal interest in the decisions they make as your attorney.
- Backup Plan: It’s a good idea to have a backup attorney in case your first choice is unavailable or unable to act. This will ensure that there is always someone available to make decisions on your behalf in case of an emergency.
In conclusion, choosing a Lasting Power of Attorney is an important decision that requires careful consideration. It’s essential to choose someone you trust, who is capable and available, and who will act in your best interests. Remember that you can appoint different attorneys for different areas of your life, such as your health and welfare or your financial affairs. It’s also important to review your LPA regularly to ensure that it still meets your needs and that the person you have appointed is still the right person for the role.
To discuss LPA’s in more detail, please get in touch with our team.
Tel: 0333 241 7675